Pick A Toilet may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Last Updated on October 3, 2022 by acechapman
Although toilets are an essential part of our homes, many people forget that they’re plumbing machines. They can break in many ways. Sometimes, you have no choice but to replace the entire toilet. What does it cost? We will be discussing the average cost to replace a toilet, the types of toilets that are available, as well as other costs, and any additional information you might find useful.
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Toilet?
In 2022, the average cost of replacing a toilet is $200 to $800 depending on which type of toilet you choose. You might only pay $200 for a cheaper replacement.
Let’s take a look at the different types of toilets to get an idea of their costs and how they compare to what we’re used to.
- One-piece toilet: These toilets can be difficult to ship as they are one-piece and cannot be disassembled. However, they are great for small spaces. An inexpensive one may cost $200, while a more expensive model could cost upwards of $1,000.
- Two-piece toilets: These are the types you probably know. You can take the tank out of the base. Brands that are cheap starting at around $100 while those with higher quality can go up to nearly $900.
- Smart Toilets: These toilets have many technological advances built in. The features include a bidet and music speakers as well as heated seats, UV disinfecting lamps, self-closing lids, touchless flushing, and heated seats. Smart toilets starting at $1,000 are the most affordable, while more expensive models can be purchased for as high as $4,000 and higher.
You will need to pay someone to do the job. This is true for all jobs. Let’s take a look at the additional costs that you might have to pay for a toilet repair or replacement.
Additional Costs To Be Aware Of
An hour of labor to install a toilet will cost you $60, or more depending on where you live. A toilet can be purchased and installed by someone who has some plumbing experience. This is not something we recommend for everyone.
Plumbers usually offer a guarantee for their work, which can be very helpful. It takes on average three to four hours to replace a toilet.
You may need to consider other factors that could also be costly when replacing your toilet. Let’s take a closer look.
- Leakage, clogs, and damage to the plumbing. To make your toilet work properly, the plumber must repair any plumbing damage in your home. This will cost you extra.
- To work with the plumbing, the plumber must remove the flooring. A damaged toilet could cause water damage to your flooring. It will then cost you a lot to get a professional to diagnose the problem. Expect to pay $10-25 per square foot.
- Your total plumbing bill will increase if you have to deal with unexpected damage. Extra work such as replacing wax seals, flanges, or any other damage to your plumbing system will cost you more.
- It is likely that disposing of an old toilet will cost you a little more.
Considerations When Calculating The Cost To Replace A Toilet
Toilet installation costs can be affected by many factors. Prices may vary depending on the type of toilet, brand, location, labor, as well as the removal of an old toilet.
Types Of Toilet
The cost of installation will be affected by the type of toilet. You have the option of standard, two-piece toilets that come with oval or round bowls, as well as high-end options with bidets and seat warmers. There are many options for a one-piece or wall-hung toilets. Toilets with extra features may require additional plumbing and can be more expensive than standard toilets. Additional features include music, lighting, and remote control.
To replace a toilet, it can cost anywhere from $90 for a basic, two-piece toilet to as much as $1,500 for a more luxurious brand. There are many types of toilets and the average price to replace them can vary. American Standard, Delta, and Kohler are some of the most popular brands. Homeowners often choose the toilet brand that best suits their bathroom.
The location of the toilet is a major factor in the cost of installing a toilet. If the bathroom is located on an upper floor, some professionals might charge more. Keep in mind that if a problem is found with plumbing or flooring, it will usually cost more to repair the issue on the second floor than on the first. A toilet move costs approximately $3,000 and homeowners typically pay between $2,500 to $3,500. This involves new plumbing, vent lines, and moving drains. The cost of installing new drain pipes ranges between $0.75 and $30 per linear foot, not including labor.
Plumbers often charge $65 an hour to install a toilet. The average time it takes to install a new toilet is between 2 and 4 hours, if the project doesn’t require any additional repairs. Additional labor costs can include removal of the toilet, moving and installing a drain pipe, repairing leaks or clogs, and cost for toilet flanges and wax rings.
Removing An Old Toilet
The cost to remove and dispose of an old toilet is usually higher than the regular price. The average removal cost is $50-$200, but it’s a good idea to check with professionals to make sure they include the toilet removal costs in their estimates.
How to save money on toilet replacement costs?
It can be difficult to budget for toilet replacement costs. The additional fees that come with the project can quickly add up. You can save money by choosing the cheapest toilet. However, there are other options that will allow you to get the toilet features and quality you desire.
- At least three estimates are necessary. Request quotes from reputable plumbers in your area.
- Make a budget. It is important to know how much money you can afford. This will help you stay on track and make it possible for unexpected repairs.
- You can remove the toilet yourself. You can save the money that it would take to hire a plumber for the removal of the toilet.
- Talk to a professional. Ask about ways to save money on installation. You may be eligible for discounts or rebates when you hire a professional to install your new toilet.
- Install a high-efficiency toilet (HET). High-efficiency toilets (HET) can be paid for in 6 to 5 years depending on how big the household is. Dual-flush toilets use less water and homeowners can reduce their water bills.
- Choose a standard toilet. Although the extra features of a smart toilet can be attractive, they can quickly become expensive. You can save money by choosing a single-piece or two-piece toilet.
- Hiring a professional is advisable. It may seem tempting to do the job yourself and save money, but hiring a professional will ensure they do the job correctly. Incorrectly installing a toilet can lead to costly repairs or replacement.
How long do toilets last?
If you maintain and clean it regularly, a toilet can last up to 20 years. For example, a toilet in a frat house won’t last as long as a new toilet installed in a home with two people. It is important to replace your toilet as soon as possible if it becomes obvious damage. Toilets are an essential part of every bathroom. You can’t live with a damaged toilet.
How to Take Care Of Your Toilet
Although it may sound silly, regular cleaning of your toilet will make it last much longer. Regular cleaning is important, as well as being careful not to step on the toilet. Cleaning is primarily about keeping your bathroom clean and tidy. However, being cautious will help prolong the life of your toilet.
Toilets are an important part of modern homes, but they’re often overlooked. If you are interested in more amenities, a simple replacement will cost you only a few hundred dollars.