- HOW MUCH DOES A NEW BATHROOM COST?
- WHY BATHROOM DESIGN IS IMPORTANTLY PLANNED CAREFULLY
- HOW TO DESIGN A BATHROOM LAYOUT
- Decide What To Include In Your Bathroom Design
- Choose A Bathroom Style
- Choose The Type Of Bathtub You Want
- Choose The Best Type Of Shower
- Find The Perfect Enclosure And Shower Tray
- Create A Wet Room
- Pick The Perfect Bathroom Sink
- Find The Best Bathroom Faucet
- Choose A New Toilet In Your Bathroom Design
- Include Brilliant Bathroom Storage
- Find The Best Bathroom Flooring
- Find The Best Bathroom Wall Tiles
- Choose the Best Bathroom Paint
- Opt For The Best Bathroom Window Treatments
- Plan For Your Bathroom Lighting
- Find The Best Heating For Your Bathroom
- Will There Be Planning Permission Required?
Pick A Toilet may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Last Updated on January 24, 2023 by acechapman
You can have a bathroom design that is both stylish and practical. We have the information you need to transform a boring or outdated room into something that is stylish and functional.
Designing a bathroom can be a fun and exciting process, but it can also be overwhelming with so many options to choose from. The bathroom is one of the most important rooms in the house, as it is where you start and end your day.
HOW MUCH DOES A NEW BATHROOM COST?
The cost of a new bathroom can vary greatly depending on a number of factors, including the size of the bathroom, the materials used, and the complexity of the design. On average, a basic bathroom remodel can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $12,000, while a more extensive remodel can range from $15,000 to $30,000.
For installing high-end features, such as a spa-like shower or a luxury soaking tub, the cost can increase significantly. Additional costs can also come from plumbing, electrical, and flooring work.
If you’re planning on doing the work yourself, the costs can be lower. However, if you hire a contractor, the costs will include labor and the contractor’s fee.
WHY BATHROOM DESIGN IS IMPORTANTLY PLANNED CAREFULLY
Bathroom design is important because it can greatly impact the functionality, comfort, and overall aesthetic of the space. Careful planning can ensure that the bathroom is designed to meet the needs and preferences of the users, while also maximizing the available space.
- Functionality. A well-designed bathroom should be functional and easy to use, with features such as a comfortable layout, ample storage, and easy-to-use fixtures.
- Comfort. Create a comfortable and relaxing space, with features such as natural lighting, appropriate ventilation, and a soothing color palette.
- Aesthetics. Enhance the overall aesthetic of a home and add value to the property. A carefully planned bathroom design can be visually pleasing and coordinate with the style and architecture of the home.
- Durability. Account for durability and easy maintenance, which can save time and money in the long run.
- Accessibility. If someone in your household has mobility issues, a carefully planned bathroom design can make the space accessible and easy to use for them.
Overall, careful planning and thoughtful design can ensure that the bathroom is a functional, comfortable, and visually pleasing space that meets the needs of the users and enhances the overall aesthetic of the home.
HOW TO DESIGN A BATHROOM LAYOUT
Designing a bathroom layout can be a complex process, but by following a few key steps, you can create a functional and aesthetically pleasing space.
- Measure the Space. Measure the length, width, and height of the bathroom, and make note of any existing fixtures, such as the toilet, sink, shower, or bathtub.
- Determine the Layout. Decide on the layout of the bathroom, including the placement of the toilet, sink, shower, or bathtub, and any additional fixtures such as a bidet or linen closet. Consider factors such as privacy, accessibility, and traffic flow when determining the layout.
- Consider Plumbing. The location of the plumbing will affect the layout of the bathroom. Determine where the water supply and drain lines are located, and ensure that the layout of the fixtures takes into account their location.
- Plan for Storage. Incorporate ample storage into the bathroom design, such as shelves, cabinets, and drawers. Consider the type of items that will be stored, and plan the storage accordingly.
- Think about Lighting. Proper lighting is essential in a bathroom. Plan for natural light, as well as artificial light, and consider the type of bulbs and fixtures that will be used.
- Choose the Materials. Select the materials that will be used for the flooring, walls, and fixtures. Consider factors such as durability, maintenance, and cost when making your choices.
- Hire a Professional. If you are not sure about the layout or any aspect of the design, it’s always good to consult with a professional designer or architect to ensure that your bathroom is functional, safe, and beautiful.
By following these steps and keeping in mind the needs and preferences of the users, you can create a bathroom layout that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
HOW TO DESIGN A BATHROOM ONLINE
There are a few different ways to design a bathroom online, depending on what you’re looking for. Here are a few options:
- Use a free online bathroom design tool. Many home improvement stores and bathroom product manufacturers offer free online design tools that allow you to create a virtual bathroom. Simply input the dimensions of your space and select the products you want to include, such as a shower, toilet, and sink.
- Hire an online interior designer. You can work with an interior designer remotely to design your bathroom. Many interior design companies offer virtual design services, where you can share your inspiration, ideas, and measurements with a designer who will create a design concept for your bathroom and even recommend products to purchase.
- Use 3D modeling software. If you are comfortable with 3D modeling software, you can use programs such as SketchUp or AutoCAD to create a detailed 3D model of your bathroom. This will give you a realistic representation of your design and help you visualize the finished space.
- Research and gather inspiration online. You can gather inspiration from online bathroom design blogs, Instagram, Pinterest, or any other social media platform, and create a mood board or inspiration board. This will give you a good idea of what you like and what you don’t like and help you to create your own design.
In any case, it is important to have an accurate floor plan and all the measurements of the bathroom space, so you can design accurately.
Decide What To Include In Your Bathroom Design
When deciding what to include in your bathroom design, it’s important to consider both the functionality and the aesthetics of the space. Here are a few key elements to consider:
- Layout. The layout of your bathroom will determine the placement of fixtures, such as the toilet, shower, and sink. Think about how you want to move around the space and how you want to use the bathroom.
- Fixtures. Your bathroom fixtures, such as the toilet, shower, and sink, will be the main focal points of the space. Consider the size and style of these fixtures and how they will fit with the overall design of the bathroom.
- Storage. Consider the storage space you will need in your bathroom. A vanity or medicine cabinet can provide storage for toiletries and other items, while shelving or a built-in cabinet can provide additional storage space.
- Lighting. Lighting is an important aspect of any bathroom design. Think about the type of lighting you want to use and where it should be placed. You will need both task lighting and ambient lighting.
- Flooring and wall finish. The flooring and wall finishes you choose will have a big impact on the overall look and feel of your bathroom. Consider materials that are easy to clean and maintain, such as tile or stone.
- Accessories. Accessories such as towel bars, soap dispensers, and shower curtains can add a finishing touch to your bathroom design.
- Ventilation. Good ventilation is important for preventing mold and mildew in the bathroom, so be sure to include a window or fan in your design.
- Consider any special requirements. You may have some specific needs in your bathroom, such as wheelchair accessibility, a walk-in shower, or a soaking tub. Make sure to include these in your design.
Choose A Bathroom Style
Once you have decided on the bathroom fittings that you would like, it is time to decide what style you prefer. You have two options: a more traditional or modern design.
Traditional bathrooms have baths, basins, and loos that are more traditional in style. They tend to be more decorative, with elaborate lines.
Modern bathrooms can look curvaceous or angular, but they both have a clean design and lack detail. Check out our feature for more modern bathroom designs.
Choose The Type Of Bathtub You Want
When designing a bathroom, it is important to consider the available space, the number of people who will be using the bathroom, and your personal style. Some popular bathtub options include freestanding baths, alcove baths, corner baths, and drop-in baths.
There are several types of baths to choose from when designing a bathroom, including:
- Freestanding. This type of bath is not attached to any walls and can be placed anywhere in the bathroom.
- Drop-in. Drop-in is a type of bath installed into a raised platform or alcove and can be used with a shower curtain or glass enclosure.
- Alcove. This type of bath is installed between three walls, creating an alcove for the bathtub.
- Corner. As the name suggests, this type of bath is designed to fit into a corner of a room.
- Walk-in. A walk-in bath is designed for accessibility and safety, with a low threshold for easy entry and built-in safety features such as grab bars and non-slip surfaces.
Choose The Best Type Of Shower
The type of shower that is best for your bathroom will depend on several factors, including the size and layout of your bathroom, your personal preferences, and any specific functionality you are looking for. Some popular types of showers include:
- Walk-in Shower. This type of shower has no door or curtain and is often designed with a low curb or no curb at all, making it easy to walk into. It can be a good option for small bathrooms or those with a modern aesthetic.
- Corner Shower. Corner showers are designed to fit into the corner of a bathroom, making them a great space-saving option. It can be a good choice for small bathrooms or those with an awkward layout.
- Neo-angle Shower. A neo-angle shower has two walls that come together at a 45-degree angle, creating a corner shower with more space inside.
- Steam Shower. The steam shower is a type of shower that is designed to produce steam, which can help to relax muscles and clear sinuses.
- Rain Shower. A rain shower has a large showerhead that is mounted directly to the ceiling, creating a shower experience that mimics standing in the rain.
- Body Spray Shower. This type of shower has multiple shower heads placed at different heights and angles to provide a more immersive shower experience.
Ultimately, the best type of shower for your bathroom will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consult with a professional designer or bathroom remodeler to help you choose the right type of shower for your bathroom.
Find The Perfect Enclosure And Shower Tray
When choosing a shower enclosure and shower tray, there are several things to consider.
- Size and layout of your bathroom
- The number of people using the shower
- Your personal preference for a frameless or framed enclosure
- Type of door (sliding, pivot, etc.)
- The material (glass, acrylic, etc.)
- Size and shape of the shower enclosure
- The type of drainage (center, offset, or corner)
- Material type (acrylic, stone resin, etc.)
- The height of the tray (low profile or standard)
- Consider if you want to install a shower tray or a shower base
It’s important to choose a shower enclosure and tray that fit your bathroom space and personal preferences. A professional can help you measure the space and ensure that the shower enclosure and tray you choose will fit correctly and be easy to maintain.
Create A Wet Room
A wet room is a bathroom design where the shower area is integrated into the overall floor space, rather than being separated by a shower door or curtain. This creates a seamless and modern look, as well as makes the bathroom more accessible for people with mobility issues.
To create a wet room, the following steps should be taken:
- The floor will need to be leveled and waterproofed to ensure that water does not leak into the subfloor or walls.
- Install a shower tray or base. This is designed to contain the water and direct it to the drain. It should be slightly sloped towards the drain to ensure proper drainage.
- Then, install the waterproofing membrane on the floor and walls to protect the room from water damage.
- Next, install a non-slip flooring material, such as tile, should be installed on top of the waterproof membrane.
- A drainage channel should be installed along the edge of the shower area, with a grate or cover to allow water to flow into the drain.
- Then, install the shower head and controls on the wall, or a freestanding shower can be used.
- Finish the walls and ceiling with tiles, paint, or any other desired material.
It is important to consult with a professional before starting a wet room project, as it requires specific knowledge of waterproofing and drainage. If not done correctly it can lead to serious water damage issues.
Pick The Perfect Bathroom Sink
How do you choose a bathroom sink? Here are the facts:
With hidden pipework, pedestal sinks can be a focal point. Semi-pedestal and wall-mounted basins help keep the floor clean. These basins can be used to make small bathrooms seem larger.
A bathroom worksurface can be used to mount a countertop or console basin. These basins make a stunning feature in the bathroom and can be placed above or below open or closed storage to maximize space.
To give a contemporary, clean effect, inset basins are inserted into the surface below.
Find The Best Bathroom Faucet
When choosing a bathroom faucet, there are several things to consider:
- Functionality. Think about how you will use the faucet. Do you need a single-handle or double-handle faucet? Do you want a high-arc or low-arc spout? Do you want a faucet with a built-in water filter or a touchless faucet?
- Style. Consider the overall aesthetic of your bathroom and choose a faucet that complements that style. For example, a sleek, modern faucet would work well in a contemporary bathroom, while a traditional faucet with decorative details would be a good option for a traditional bathroom.
- Material. Faucets come in a variety of materials such as chrome, brass, stainless steel, nickel, and oil-rubbed bronze. Choose a material that is easy to clean and maintain, and will withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- Water-saving. Look for faucets that have a low flow rate to help conserve water.
- Brand and Quality. Choose a reputable brand and check for certifications such as Energy Star, WaterSense, and UPC, which indicate that the faucet meets certain standards for water efficiency and performance.
- Installation. Consider the type of installation you prefer and the one that fits your bathroom, such as single-hole, center-set, or widespread.
- Price. Determine your budget and choose a faucet that fits within that budget. Keep in mind that a higher price doesn’t always mean better quality, so be sure to read reviews and compare features.
Faucets are not only a functional item but also an important design element. Choosing the right one can enhance the overall look and feel of your bathroom, as well as provide efficient and comfortable use.
Choose A New Toilet In Your Bathroom Design
When choosing a new toilet for your bathroom design, there are several things to consider:
- Size. Measure the space where the toilet will be placed and choose a size that fits comfortably in the area.
- Shape. Toilets come in different shapes such as round or elongated bowls, consider the shape that best fits your bathroom design.
- Flushing System. There are two main types of flushing systems: gravity flush and pressure-assisted flush. Gravity flush toilets use gravity and the weight of the water in the tank to push waste down the drain. Pressure-assisted flush toilets use air pressure to push waste down the drain.
- Water-saving. Look for toilets that have a low flush rate to help conserve water.
- Height. Toilets are available in different heights, such as standard or comfort height. Comfort height toilets are typically easier to use for people with mobility issues.
- Style. Consider the overall aesthetic of your bathroom and choose a toilet that complements that style. For example, a sleek, modern toilet would work well in a contemporary bathroom, while a traditional toilet with decorative details would be a good option for a traditional bathroom.
- Brand and Quality. Choose a reputable brand and check for certifications such as WaterSense, which indicate that the toilet meets certain standards for water efficiency and performance.
- Price. Determine your budget and choose a toilet that fits within that budget. Keep in mind that a higher price doesn’t always mean better quality, so be sure to read reviews and compare features.
Consult with a professional plumber to ensure that the new toilet you choose will be compatible with your bathroom’s plumbing and that it is properly installed.
Include Brilliant Bathroom Storage
Bathroom storage is crucial in bathroom design to avoid cluttering surfaces with towels, toiletries, and spare loo rolls. Consider combining the following:
You can store all your family’s bathroom necessities in fitted bathroom storage. It can be used as a fitted kitchen cabinetry and makes the most of space from floor to ceiling with clutter-swallowing drawers and cupboards.
For a small footprint, vanity units that combine sink and cupboard into one unit are space-efficient. These stunning vanity units are a great source of inspiration. Mirrored front wall-hung cabinets are a great way to add another essential bathroom item.
You can use freestanding furniture in the bathroom or create a unique look by adding cabinet furniture.
Find The Best Bathroom Flooring
When choosing bathroom flooring, it’s important to consider factors such as durability, water resistance, slip resistance, and ease of cleaning. Some popular options for bathroom flooring include:
- Ceramic or Porcelain tile. These tiles are water-resistant and easy to clean, making them a great choice for bathrooms. They come in a variety of colors, sizes, and designs, and can be used to create a wide range of looks.
- Natural stone tile. Natural stone tiles, such as marble, granite, or limestone, can add a luxurious look to a bathroom. However, it can be expensive and can be less water-resistant than ceramic or porcelain tile.
- Vinyl or linoleum. Vinyl and linoleum flooring is water-resistant, slip-resistant, and relatively inexpensive. It also comes in a wide range of colors and designs, and it is easy to install and maintain.
- Hardwood or engineered wood. Hardwood or engineered wood flooring can add warmth and character to a bathroom, but it is not recommended as it is not waterproof and can be damaged by water exposure.
- Laminate. Laminate flooring is a cost-effective option that looks like hardwood or stone. It is water-resistant, durable, and easy to clean, but it can be less slip-resistant than other options.
- Carpet. Carpet is not a recommended option for bathrooms as it can retain moisture, becomes moldy, and be difficult to clean.
Remember to consider the level of foot traffic, the humidity levels, and the overall design style of your bathroom. Consult with a professional designer or contractor to help you choose the right flooring for your bathroom.
Find The Best Bathroom Wall Tiles
When choosing bathroom wall tiles, it’s important to consider factors such as durability, water resistance, slip resistance, and ease of cleaning. Some popular options for bathroom wall tiles include:
- Ceramic or Porcelain. These tiles are water-resistant and easy to clean, making them a great choice for bathrooms. They come in a variety of colors, sizes, and designs, and can be used to create a wide range of looks.
- Glass. Glass tiles can add a modern and sleek look to a bathroom. They are water-resistant and easy to clean, but they can be more expensive than ceramic or porcelain tiles.
- Natural Stone. Natural stone tiles, such as marble, granite, or limestone, can add a luxurious look to a bathroom. However, it can be expensive and can be less water-resistant than ceramic or porcelain tile.
- Mosaic. Mosaic tiles can be used to create intricate designs and patterns on a bathroom wall. They are water-resistant and easy to clean, but they can be more expensive than other types of tiles.
- Subway. Subway tiles are a classic and versatile option that can be used to create a variety of looks in a bathroom. They are water-resistant and easy to clean, and they come in a range of sizes and colors.
- Hexagon. Hexagon tile is a unique option that can add a modern look to a bathroom. It can be made of ceramic, porcelain, or natural stone and it’s easy to clean.
Choose the Best Bathroom Paint
When choosing paint for a bathroom, there are several things to consider:
- Moisture Resistance. Look for paint that is specifically formulated for bathrooms, as it will be more resistant to moisture and mildew.
- Finish. Choose a paint finish that will be easy to clean and maintain. A semi-gloss or high-gloss finish is often recommended for bathrooms as they are more resistant to moisture than a flat or eggshell finish.
- Color. Consider the overall aesthetic of your bathroom and choose a color that complements that style. For example, a pale blue or green color can create a calming spa-like atmosphere, while a bold color can make a statement.
- VOCs. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are chemicals that are emitted from paint and can have negative health effects. Look for paint with low or no VOCs to create a healthier environment in your bathroom
- Brand and Quality. Choose a reputable brand and read reviews to ensure the paint you choose has good quality and coverage.
- Cost. Determine your budget and choose a paint that fits within that budget. Keep in mind that a higher price doesn’t always mean better quality, so be sure to compare features.
It’s important to prepare the surface properly, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the recommended paint tools for the best results. It’s also recommended to apply a primer before painting, as it can help to seal and protect the surface, and to ensure better paint adhesion and coverage.
Opt For The Best Bathroom Window Treatments
Bathroom window treatments must be able to withstand the humidity.
These are the types of window treatments you may want to consider:
- Roller Blinds. Roller blinds are a popular option for bathrooms as they are easy to clean and can be made with moisture-resistant fabrics.
- Venetian blinds. These can be made with aluminum or wood, making them a durable option for bathrooms. They also provide privacy while letting in natural light.
- Roman Shades. Roman shades are stylish options that can be made with moisture-resistant fabrics. They can be raised or lowered to control the amount of light entering the bathroom.
- Curtains or Drapes. They are classic options that can be made with moisture-resistant fabrics. They can be hung high above the window to let in natural light while providing privacy.
- Privacy Film. This is a simple and affordable option that can be applied directly to the window. It provides privacy while still allowing natural light to enter the bathroom.
Plan For Your Bathroom Lighting
When planning for bathroom lighting, it’s important to consider the different tasks that will be performed in the space and the overall design aesthetic. Here are a few steps to help plan for bathroom lighting:
- Identify the main tasks that will be performed in the bathroom, such as grooming, showering, and relaxing. This will help determine the type and location of lighting needed.
- Consider the overall design aesthetic of the bathroom. Do you want a modern, minimalist look or a more traditional, warm feel? The lighting fixtures and bulbs should complement the overall design of the space.
- Decide on the type of lighting you want to use. General lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting are all important for creating a well-lit bathroom. General lighting is used to light up the entire room, task lighting is used for specific tasks such as shaving or applying makeup, and accent lighting is used to highlight specific areas or features in the bathroom such as artwork or a mirror.
- Plan the location of lighting fixtures. Recessed lighting, sconces, and pendant lights are all popular options for bathroom lighting. Recessed lighting is a great option for general lighting, sconces are great for task lighting and accent lighting, and pendant lights can be used to create an elegant focal point.
- Choose energy-efficient bulbs and dimmer switches, if possible. This will help save energy and money on electricity bills, and provide more control over the ambiance in the bathroom.
- Finally, it’s important to consider the safety of the bathroom when planning the lighting. Make sure that there is enough light for people to safely move around the bathroom, and that there are no dark corners or shadows where someone might trip or fall.
Find The Best Heating For Your Bathroom
It’s not just about the aesthetics of a bathroom. You also need to consider heating and other basic services early in your design process.
There are several ways to heat your bathroom, including:
- Central Heating. This is the most common way to heat a bathroom. If your home has central heating, it’s likely that the bathroom is already connected to the system. This means that the same heat that warms the rest of your home will also heat your bathroom.
- Electric Heating. Electric heating can be a good option for bathrooms as it can be easily installed and does not require any ductwork. Electric heaters come in a variety of styles, including wall-mounted heaters, baseboard heaters, and radiant heaters.
- Underfloor Heating. This type of heating is installed beneath the flooring and can be a great option for bathrooms as it provides even heat and eliminates cold spots.
- Towel Radiators. These are specifically designed to heat towels and can be a great addition to a bathroom.
- Heated Towel Rail. They are similar to towel radiators and are designed to heat both towels and the room.
- Solar Seating. This type of heating uses energy from the sun to heat the bathroom. It can be a cost-effective option but it depends on the location and the climate.
Ultimately, the best option for heating your bathroom will depend on your budget, the layout of your bathroom, and your personal preferences. It is always important to ensure that the heating system is safe, energy-efficient, and compliant with the building codes and regulations.
Will There Be Planning Permission Required?
In general, planning permission is not typically required for small bathroom renovations as long as the work does not involve structural changes or major changes to the layout of the building. However, there are some situations where planning permission may be required for bathroom renovations, such as:
- The building is a listed building or located within a conservation area, planning permission may be required for any changes to the building, including bathroom renovations.
- If the renovation involves extending the bathroom or creating a new bathroom
- When changing the external appearance of the building, such as adding a new window or door
- Creating a new bathroom in a basement or attic.
It is always recommended to check with your local council planning department to ensure whether you need planning permission or building regulations approval for your bathroom renovations and follow the building codes and regulations.
Even if planning permission is not required, building regulations approval may still be necessary for certain types of work, such as electrical and plumbing work.
When designing your bathroom, there are several important factors to consider, including the layout, style, and functionality of the space. One of the key elements in a bathroom is the bathtub. There are several types of baths to choose from, including freestanding, drop-in, alcove, corner, and walk-in baths. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, and the best one for your bathroom will depend on your personal preferences, the size and layout of your bathroom, and your budget.
Additionally, you should also consider other important factors such as lighting, ventilation, and storage, as well as the overall style and aesthetic of the space. With careful planning and attention to detail, you can create a beautiful and functional bathroom that meets all of your needs.