Pick A Toilet may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Last Updated on January 7, 2023 by acechapman
Everybody has experienced a clogged bathroom. It is possible that you accidentally dropped something into the toilet. So, what should you do to unclog your toilet? How do you unclog it? Let’s find out which one can help you better between these two: toilet auger vs snake.
Toilet augers are primarily used to remove clogs from the toilets. They break down and push through them to clear them. A snake, on the other hand, is designed to pull and catch clogs from faucets. Usually, a snake is shorter than a toilet auger.
What is a Toilet Auger?
A toilet auger, also known as a closet auger, is a plumbing tool that is used to clear clogs in toilets. It consists of a long, flexible cable with a small auger or spiral tip at one end and a handle at the other. The auger is inserted into the toilet’s drainpipe through the opening at the base of the toilet and then rotated to break up and remove the clog.
Toilet augers are particularly useful for clearing clogs that are located deeper in the drainpipe, beyond the reach of a plunger. They are a more effective option than chemical drain cleaners, which can damage the pipes and are not always effective at removing clogs.
To use a toilet auger, you will need to turn off the water supply to the toilet and flush the toilet to empty the water from the bowl. Then, you can insert the auger into the drainpipe and rotate it to clear the clog. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper use. If you are not comfortable using a toilet auger, it is best to hire a professional plumber to clear the clog for you.
How to unclog a toilet with a toilet auger?
To unclog a toilet with a toilet auger, follow these steps:
- Turn off the water supply to the toilet. This will stop the flow of water into the toilet bowl and tank.
- Flush the toilet to empty the water from the bowl and tank.
- Locate the base of the toilet and remove the bolt caps or any other covering to access the drainpipe.
- Insert the auger into the drainpipe and push it through until you feel resistance, which indicates that it has reached the clog.
- Hold the auger handle with both hands and use a rotating motion to break up and remove the clog. Be careful not to force the auger too hard, as this can damage the pipes.
- Continue rotating the auger until the clog is cleared and the auger moves freely through the drainpipe.
- Remove the auger from the drainpipe and flush the toilet to ensure that it is flowing properly.
- If the toilet is still clogged, you may need to use the auger again or try a different method to clear the clog. If you are not comfortable using a toilet auger or if the clog persists, it is best to hire a professional plumber to clear the clog for you.
Note: Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the proper use of the auger.
Different types of toilet augers
Toilet augers all have a common feature, but there are many options. These are just a few examples.
These augers are especially useful for toilets. These augers are made up of a flexible tube that you can twist and bend to reach a toilet block.
A power auger functions much the same as a closet auger. It has a motor that feeds the tube down to the drain and twists it. So, this auger clears clogs more efficiently than closet augers.
Drum augers store long cables that are used to unclog drains in a drum-shaped container. This auger has an automatic feed. Thus, allowing you to quickly reach the clogs.
Drum augers are similar to power augers, but they have a drum-shaped housing around the cable that allows the cable to be fed out and retracted more easily. They are typically used to clear larger clogs in longer or larger diameter pipes.
This auger is great for clogs that can’t be removed with a closet auger. Telescoping augers have an extra 3′ of cable that is very useful for deep clogs.
Rocket Nozzle Auger
Rocket nozzle augers use high-pressure water jets to clear clogs. This auger is used when all other methods have failed.
What is a Snake Drain?
A snake drain is a flexible, rod-like tool used to clear blockages in drain pipes. It is also known as a drain auger or plumbing snake. The tool consists of a long, flexible metal or plastic cable with an auger head at one end. The auger head is typically equipped with a crank handle to allow the user to rotate the auger and clear the blockage.
There are two main designs. The first is a steel cable that has a coil or spring at the end. This allows you to grab the clog and pull them out. The second design is simply a strip of plastic with protruding edges that can be used to grab the material and pull it out.
How to use a snake?
A snake works well in showers, tubs as well as sinks. Follow these steps to use the snake
- Use gloves. Your drain material is likely to be dirty and may have been treated with harsh cleaners. Rubber gloves are a good option to protect your hands.
- Clear out any obstructions and traps that may be blocking your drain.
- Then, place the cable. Put the snake in the drain. Push the cable through the pipe, until it is difficult to move. It is likely that the pipe has clogged or is bent.
- Twist the snake. This will capture some of the material.
- Take the snake out. If you’re lucky, the entire material will fall out. It may come out of your hands or fall off if you are not careful. It can happen, but it doesn’t matter what. Sometimes it takes several attempts.
- Repeat. Check to see if the blockage persists. If so, turn it around and withdraw.
- Run water down the drain. If it does not drain quickly. Snake again
Toilet Auger vs Snake. What Are The Difference?
A toilet auger and a snake drain are both tools used to clear blockages in drain pipes. The main difference between the two is the type of drain they are intended to be used on.
A toilet auger is specifically designed for use on toilet drain pipes. It has a longer and more flexible cable than a standard snake drain, which allows it to reach the bend in the pipe where blockages often occur. The auger head is also designed to clear blockages without damaging the toilet bowl or the porcelain of the toilet.
A snake drain, on the other hand, is a more general-purpose tool that can be used on a variety of drains, including sinks, showers, and tubs. It has a shorter and less flexible cable than a toilet auger and may not be as effective at clearing blockages in toilet drain pipes. It may take several attempts to remove a complete clog. However, it is typically more versatile and can be used on a wider range of drains.
Which tool should you use?
A toilet auger is best for large pipes, such as those with 1 1/2″ to 3″, and any pipes that are not connected to your toilet drain. A drain snake is a good option for smaller pipes that are 2 inches or less in diameter.
Is it safe to pour boiling water down the toilet?
In most cases, it is not recommended to pour boiling water down a toilet. While it may seem like a quick and easy way to clear a clogged toilet, it can actually cause more damage in the long run.
Pouring boiling water down a toilet can potentially damage the pipes and the seals in the toilet, causing leaks and potentially leading to more serious plumbing issues. It can also potentially crack or chip the porcelain of the toilet bowl, causing it to become more prone to damage and stains.
There are safer and more effective ways to clear a clogged toilet, such as using a toilet auger or a plunger. If these methods do not work, it is best to call a plumber to diagnose and resolve the issue.
Hopefully, you’ve learned the difference between a toilet auger vs snake. A toilet auger is a good choice if you have a blocked toilet. These augers are specifically made to deal with tough plumbing clogs. If an auger is not an option, use a drain snake.
However, if your bathtub or sink is clogged, you can set the auger out. The snake is the best option.